Thursday, February 7, 2013

Lee Brice "I Drive Your Truck" Single Review

      The third single from Lee Brice's album Hard 2 Love is " I Drive Your Truck".  Truck songs are on country radio about every 15 minutes anymore.  Is this another cliche song about big trucks and girls, or is it something more?

     When I first heard the title to this song, I rolled my eyes and thought "here we go again, another truck song about beer and fields and girls..."  The overuse of the truck song is one of country music's biggest issues right now.  So, I begrudgingly turned up the radio to give this song a shot, because I'll listen to anything once (except "Truck Yeah".  True story, I still haven't made it all the way through that thing).  Boy was I blown away.  This song isn't just another truck song.  It's a good song.  A darn good song.  A great song.

     "I Drive Your Truck" tells the story of a man who lost his brother, and instead of visiting his grave, spends time driving his brothers old truck around to remember him.  It's powerful stuff.  The song tells a sad song and tells it well.  The art of story telling is disappearing in modern country, but Lee Brice keeps it alive and well in this song.  The musical track does a nice job of building and making this a "big" song without being over dramatic or rocky.  It's a little loud for my taste, but everything on the radio is these days. This song is already a strong contender for Song of The Year in 2013.

     Furthermore, Lee Brice is establishing himself as a top country songwriter.  He has written soft tender songs like "Still" recorded by Tim McGraw, witty but soft-hearted songs like "A Woman Like You", catchy radio friendly songs like "Hard to Love", and megahits like "Love Like Crazy" and Eli Young Band's "Crazy Girl".  Lee is proving that in the mainstream world, he can do it all and is becoming a bona fide superstar.  Lee's star is shining bright, and the future is looking great.

     Overall, "I Drive Your Truck" is what I love about country music.  It's a great story about real life set to good down home music.  Country music needs more of this.  I was pleasantly surprised by this song, and am excited about Lee Brice's bright future!!!!  Highly Recommended!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment